Wednesday, 7 May 2008

Played chess outside tonight, overly optimistic, and ended with bitterly cold fingertips. Still, a victory warms. Each time .ec and I play we attempt a slightly different approach, forcing ourselves to appease and attack as though we had never played the game before. And not once, not ever, have we blamed the game for our own shortcomings, not even the opponent. Mistakes are always entirely honest, traceable and begin at home.

Afterwards, I was saddened to hear of the death of one of my friend’s mother who had been terminally ill. Mammy Campbell had an old trick that I still use every day, which I recall here by way of remembrance.

If your children still feel hungry after eating a meal, she said to me once on a glorious summer’s day, make them drink a pint of water and if they are still hungry after this, then they have not had enough to eat.